There is a recent sleep habit that you may not even realize you have. it is called Revenge Bedtime Procrastination. It is the art of staying on your phone in bed late at night, and not going to sleep when you are tired. It is something that has been around for awhile, but is now getting more attention.
According to the article in SELF there are three components that you have to have to be diagnosed with this sleep habit. Here there are according to the article:
“Your late nights have to reduce your total sleep time, you can’t be up late for an external reason (like to tend to a baby or because you’re not feeling well), and you have to be aware that staying up will lead to negative consequences.”
This is not a terrible sleep habit. But, it could create problems down the road if you continue to do this on a daily basis. So, if you happen to be one of the people that are staying up late on your phone when you know you have to get up early in the morning, here are some ways to make it better for yourself.
- If you happen to be working from home, find a way to commute. It may sound weird, but a walk during your workday, combined with shutting off your computer for a bit will help your stress level during the day.
- Realize that Rome (all of your tasks) can’t be built in a day. Having a to-do list that will have you up till late at night will cause you to unwind late.
- Swap Tik Tok with a book. And drink a glass of warm milk to unwind, rather than a glass of wine
- Set a time limit on how long you want to be on your phone. That could be setting an alarm to tell yourself “Goodnight”.
- Try going to sleep instead of looking at your phone.
- This is the last resort, but talking to someone about it. They can give you even more ideas to stay away from your phone at night.